Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book stuff... pre-prologue

2007

Thursday, July 12th, I rolled over in my bed to reach for the annoying sound coming from my black AT&T razor phone. Immediately I make way to the shower followed closely with grabbing a beader and throwing on an ISU Dining work polo. Prepared to head out I sat on the futon waiting on Rosa. Rosa was 5’7 with long dark hair, glasses, and a shy personality that showed. It took Rosa a little longer to get ready that morning before we headed out to work; her hair seemed to do that from time to time.

We reached Knapp-Storms dining facility and started morning prep for the campus cafes. This morning shift was the only shifts we worked together this week. After we finished prep, we got in Rosa’s two-door laser red 2003 Honda Accord and headed to Maple-Willow-Larch Dining Center. I got out and told Rosa I’ll see her at home as she headed to the opposite side (Westside) of campus’ dining center (Union Drive Community Center) for her lunch shift. I walked in said my greetings and put on a fake smile. After returning from my Fourth of July so called vacation the previous week, I was still down and out. Charlotte, an older sweet woman grabbed me and hugged me as usual; it took everything in me to hold back from crying.

On the sub-station (deli-sandwiches) I was able to keep to myself somewhat. The sinking feeling in my stomach grew. I was here and I didn’t want to be here. I looked around and pulled out my Sudoku book and finished two puzzles. I slipped it away as I heard someone yell Anasia. I turned toward the hotline and saw Jeanne summoning me.

“Yeah Jeanne, I was just about to stock up my station for tonight’s dinner person…”

“I was just going to tell you to set out deserts then you can go or eat.” She stated, “Do you work over here tonight or are you somewhere else, or done for the day?”

No comments:

Post a Comment